Friday, February 10, 2012

2012 Trip - Day 1 January 23


Over this, and the next five installments, of this blog i will detail my January 23-28, 2012 trip to Walt Disney World.  I will summarize each day I spent in the World, and will provide observations, opinions, anecdotes, etc. that are too difficult to encapsulate in 255 character chat room posts.  And it will have pictures, probably over a hundred by the time I am done. 

So what better way to start than with one of the happiest pictures that can be taken?

Welcome to Walt Disney World!
I drove through the gate at 1:30, by 2:00 I was checked into my room at Shades of Green (SoG) and waiting for the bus...

View from the Shades of Green Bus Stop

Took the bus to the Ticket and Transportation Center (TTC), then the monorail to Epcot, stopped at Guest Services to buy my Tables in Wonderland (TiW) card, and made it to my 2:45 Advanced Dining Reservation (ADR) at Le Cellier Steakhouse in Canada. Got there a few minutes early, so I enjoyed the gardens while I waited to be seated.

Gardens at Canada, inspired by the Buchart Gardens in Victoria

Once inside, I had had an excellent lunch; started with cheddar cheese soup, and then strip steak cooked perfectly rare, with cream cheese mashed potatoes. The meal was accompanied by a Unibroue "Beer Flight"; all three selections were excellent.

Le Cellier Steakhouse in Canada
Following lunch I went to see "O Canada" in the Circle-vision Theater.  I had not been to this attraction in over 20 years, and it was the first time I had seen the "new" film with Martin Short narrating.

Entrance to O Canada Theater

I should note at this point that this trip was really "part 2" of the trip I made last March, and my priorities were driven more by doing things I missed last trip than on strictly a "headliner" touring plan. The low crowds allowed me to do pretty much anything I wanted to do, any time I wanted to do it, without significant lines (with a few exceptions).
As we had virtually skipped Norway (other than riding Maelstrom) on the last trip, spending some time there was a priority for me on this trip.

The castle in Norway
The Stave Church in Norway

Model of a Viking Ship in the Museum in the Stave Church

I skipped dessert at Le Cellier with the intent on having something at La Kringla in Norway, but being too full, I postponed that for later (which, unfortunately, never came). Thirst, however, is a constant companion, and with Mexico right next door...

The Pyramid in Mexico

... what better place than La Cava de Tequila to quench one's thirst. I had never been there before and the blood orange margarita came highly recommended. It was OK; the drink was good, but they used some exotic flower essence-infused salt on the rim that kind of made me think I was drinking perfume (it improved markedly when I wiped all of the salt off the rim).  The most expensive, and probably my least favorite margarita of the trip. While sipping my drink, I enjoyed some of the sites of Mexico.

La Cava de Tequila, featuring a huge selection of Mexican tequilas
Brightly painted crafts from Oaxaca

After Mexico, I wandered back into Future World. First stop was Test Track, which had a 5 minute single rider line.

Test Track after dark
At the end, I actually took a few minutes to look at the post show area; I never realized just how much was down there. I enjoyed the overhead conveyors, which are actually a hold-over from the original "World of Motion" attraction that predated Test Track.

Post-show area of Test Track

Next stop was Mission:SPACE, where I found only a 10 minute standby line for the "orange" mission. The queue area really has a lot to look at, and I actually had a hard time taking it all in as I rarely had to actually stop and wait.

Mission: SPACE after dark
Queue area in Mission:SPACE
Although I'm sure he's always been there, I've always been in such a rush to clear the post show/gift shop area that I never really noticed "astronaut" Mickey before (which is embarrassing as he is almost six feet tall and high up on a platform).

Space Captain Mickey
By the time I "returned to Earth" it was time to start heading toward Germany for my dinner ADR at Biergarten.
Germany at twilight
I have eaten at the Biergarten several times in the past, but never for dinner before, so in some ways, this was a first for me. My mother was of direct German descent, so much of the food I ate growing up was "German" food, although I didn't know that at the time.  For the most part, the food at Biergarten is quite authentic; the salads and breads were all excellent, as were the side dishes.  My only disappointment was in the sauerbraten; not that it wasn't "good", but rater because it was made "northern" style, vice the Bavarian style that my mother (and I) always made. The strudel for desert was excellent, although I found the other deserts lacking (but I was so stuffed, I could barely eat them).
The Biergarten Band in Germany

My timing was perfect for entertainment; one show was just starting as I was seated, and the next was just finishing up as I was paying my check. One change over the years is that the dance floor has become a children's "mosh pit" with every form of running, jumping, and spinning imaginable going on. I'm sure it's great for parents who want their kids to blow off some steam, but for me, it did kind of detract from the meal.

After an hour of gorging on German food and a liter of beer, I needed to walk it off, so I spennt some time strolling around World Showcase.  I got to France about 10 minutes before the start of IllumiNations, so went to the kiosk and ordered my first Orange Grand Marnier Slushy (OGMS). a drink that many people call their favorite in WDW. Tasty, but generally underwhelming; I was expecting something tangier and not so creamy.

The French courtyard after dark
I proceeded to the bridge between France and the UK to watch IllumiNations (I had never seen it from that angle before, and after, while waiting for the crowds (?) to thin out, I spent some time strolling around the UK and Canada (on my last trip, I didn't make it to either of these counties after dark).

A streed in Great Britain after dark
The Rose and Crown Pub - one of my favorite spots in World Showcase
Upper courtyard at Canada after dark
Native American totem pole in Canada
From there I made my way back through Future World, past Journey into the Imagination...

Journey into the Imagination after dark

Made a requisite stop at Mouse Gear...

Mouse Gear after dark
Watched the fountain for a few minutes...

World Showcase fountain after dark

and exited past Spaceship Earth...

Spaceship Earth from the Entrance Plaza
It had been a very good, but very long day (18 hours, including the 7 1/2 hour drive), and it was good to board my bus back to Shades of Green for a much-needed sleep.  Plans for the next day: Rope Drop at the Magic Kingdom.



No comments:

Post a Comment