Tuesday, February 28, 2012

2012 Trip - Day 3 January 26 (Part 2)

After exiting Disney Hollywood Studios, I took the short walk to the boat dock for a relaxing trip to the Boardwalk for dinner at Kouzzina and some evening exploring along the Boardwalk.  Following the recommendation of the boat Captain, I got off at the Swan/Dolphin dock and walked across the bridge to the Boardwalk, of course stopping to take some pictures along the way.

The Dolphin Hotel after dark
The Swan Hotel after dark
The bridge to the Boardwalk is decorated in a "Tall Ships" motif
The bridge is also an excellent location to see almost the entire Boardwalk

Entering the Boardwalk from the Swan/Dolphin bridge

I arrived at Kouzzina (owned by “Iron Chef” Cat Cora of Food Network fame) just in time for my reservation, and was seated within five minutes.
Approaching Kouzzina
A touch grandiose - or is that just me?
The décor is very warm and friendly, and the service was spot on. 
The entry foyer of Kouzzina
The main Kouzzina dining room

I started with an excellent Greek salad, served with wonderful bread and a selection of different olive oils for dipping. I pared this with a very nice Napa Valley pinot noir (NOT one of Cat Cora’s “Coronation” label wines; $18.00 per glass was just a bit more than I wanted to spend). For my main course I had the Greek Trio – Cinnamon Stewed Chicken, Pastitsio (Greek lasagna), and Char Grilled Lamb Burger.  All three were superb.

The Greek Trio at Kouzzina

Although the baklava for desert sounded wonderful, I was WAY too full. Although all 12 table service meals on this trip were very good, this dinner may have been my favorite of them; I will definitely return to Kouzzina.

I had only been to the Boardwalk one time before, and that was just for an ADR at Flying Fish (with a quick departure in order to catch IllumiNations back at Epcot), so I had no other plans for the evening other than to explore a bit and to take in some entertainment.
The ESPN Club and Sports Bar, anchoring one end of the Boardwalk
The Boardwalk Bakery
Unforttunately, I did not have time to explore the Yacht Club and Beach Club Resorts, however, the Boardwalk is an excellent location to take in the scope of these twin resorts.

The Yacht Club and Beach Club Resorts from the Boardwalk
Looking up towards the Atlantic Dance Hall, from Kouzzina
I watched several of the street performers while heading back toward the Swan/Dolphin end of the Boardwalk. At the far end is the Atlantic Dance Hall, a beautiful facility that blends old-time elegance with high-tech lighting and video.
The Atlantic Dance Hall
Unfortunately it was completely empty, and was probably not going to pick up until midnight, so I ruled it out.  Right next door is Jellyrolls, and it had the opposite problem; there was a line to get in (and a cover charge), and as I had been on the go for over 12 hours at this point in time, I elected to pass on it.
Jellyrolls - dueling piano fun at the Boardwalk
I looked into the Big River Brewery and considered trying one of their microbrews (about which I’ve heard mixed reviews), but the bar area was packed (I later found out that there was a huge convention at the Dolphin, which explained the surge in crowds at the two “night spots”), so I decided to call it a night and begin the long journey back to my hotel.

The Big River Brewery and Grill
The "Boardwalk side" of the main lobby
I had to take a bus from the Boardwalk to Downtown Disney, and then another from there to the Polynesian Resort. From the time I arrived at the Boardwalk bus stop to the time I got to the Polynesian Resort, 75 minutes had elapsed. It was not especially enjoyable. At the Polynesian I stopped at the Tambu Lounge and got a drink to enjoy while looking around for a few minutes and for the 10 minute walk back to Shades of Green. 

Looking across the upper level of the Polynesian Resort Great House
The waterfall in the Polynesian Resort Great House
One of the numerous waterfalls on the grounds of the Polynesian Resort

Once back at Shades of GreenI took to opportunity to take some night pictures around the hotel.
Shades of Green after dark
The pond-side deck at Shades of Green
The "Wedding Gazebo" at Shades of Green
The Garden Grove Restaurant and Main Lobby of Shades of Green
Shades of Green new wing and pond from the terrace behind the main lobby
By the time I finished with this it was after 1:00 AM, and as I had be up since 7:00, and planned to be up at that time again the next day for Rope Drop at Animal Kingdom, it was time for bed.

My room at Shades of Green
So, all things considered, how was the day?  Well, at the Studios I rode every ride and saw all of the shows (and had a table service lunch), and later I saw all that the Boardwalk had to offer and had one of the best meals of my trip. I’d give the day a 10 out of 10 (even with the protracted bus ride).

No comments:

Post a Comment